Crafted and implemented our company-wide content strategy, managed and mentored the content team spanning across social media, email, and community.
Hi there! I’m Daniel. I help companies to discover and tell their stories, as well as build their audiences. Want to learn more? Click the button below to drop me a line, or catch me on social media.[/vc_cta]
Most Recently Worked At
Objective: With a strong focus on building up our email list, the objective of this campaign was to increase the rate of conversion from blog visitor to email subscriber, which averaged 0.5%.
- Identified a blog article that has been performing well consistently in terms of unique visits.
- Analyzed it to determine what made it top the charts. In this case, it was the article’s value to our main audience—marketers, communication specialists, and educators who were time/money-strapped but wanted to create great graphics for communication purposes.
- Worked with the design team to create a downloadable resource that added value for the reader.
- Added two call-to-action boxes to the article, offering the resource for an email address.
- Also created a presentation on SlideShare based on the article’s content, with a call-to-action on the last slide to download the resource (for an email address).
Result: 67% conversion rate, up from 0.5%. Drove ~2,000 email subscribers, contributing greatly to an overall 1039% increase in email subscribers across the duration of employment.
Objective: Build up Piktochart’s thought leadership in the visual communication space through guest posts, expert interviews, and content partnerships.
- Pitched and wrote guest posts for influential publications and blogs such as Search Engine Journal, CoSchedule, and Crazy Egg.
- Tap on the audiences of experts in the marketing and education space, such as Neil Patel and Donna Moritz, through interview articles on the Piktochart blog.
- Working with our design team, I wrote and produced an ebook on infographics together with Hubspot, tapping on their large audience.
- Syndicated our best content on publications such as Tech in Asia and Business2Community, leveraging on their large audiences.
Result: Surge of brand mentions across all social media platforms, tracked via our media monitoring app.
Objective: Increase readership of the Piktochart blog, the centrepiece of our content strategy.
- Ran a reader survey to assess the demographics of our audience and what they want to consume. Narrowed our core audience down to marketers, communication specialists, and educators who had tight schedules and budgets but wanted to create great visuals for communication purposes.
- Adjusted our editorial strategy to target our reader personas, focusing on our unique content angle.
- Crafted a funnel leading from awareness to acquisition, and mapped different content types and formats to each stage.
- Started a freelance contributor program to ramp up the quantity of high-quality articles we produced per week.
- Reached out and published guest posts from influencers and experts on the Piktochart to tap on their audiences.
- Identified and developed new content formats and channels, such as repurposing our best content in the form of a SlideShare presentation (generating over 75,000 views) and creating video quizzes.
- Crafted and implemented an email drip campaign for new subscribers, bringing them through the best articles on the Piktochart blog.
Result: Blog traffic increased by 43%, while email subscribers shot up by 1039%.
Editor (Southeast Asia)
Reported on Asia’s growing tech startup scene, with a focus on Malaysia, Thailand, Pakistan, South Korea, and Singapore. Managed Tech in Asia’s Southeast Asian team, enforcing best practices and editorial direction.
Objective: Raise profile of Asia’s growing tech startup scene, while growing Tech in Asia’s readership.
- Monitored local tech startup trends across Asia, kept close contact with members of the respective startup communities, and worked with local teammates to identify potentially interesting and insightful stories.
- Wrote close to 200 news articles and feature stories, with a focus on Malaysia, Thailand, Pakistan, South Korea, and Singapore.
Result: Drove ~1.5 million page views over a year, with several pieces that went viral.
Objective: Engage and involve tech community thought leaders and stakeholders.
- Conceptualized and designed initial version of Tech in Asia’s community publishing platform, Talk.
- Reached out to local tech community thought leaders and stakeholders to brainstorm and contribute story ideas.
Result: Talk eventually became a key feature of Tech in Asia’s current platform, with community members contributing stories and thoughts frequently.
How To Find Awesome Content Marketing Ideas
“By tapping the right sources, you can easily come up with enough marketing ideas to last a year and beyond.”
13 Must-Read Visual Marketing Articles That Will Help You Boost Content Engagement
“Because of the sheer amount of content out there, it can be extremely hard to stand out. That’s where this list of super useful visual marketing articles comes in.”
10 Types of Visuals For The Everyday Content Marketer To Use
“Every content marketer should know how to employ visuals across all their marketing efforts. Why? Because your readers love images far more than text — many, many times more.”
How to Craft Awesome Infographics Without Spending a Cent
“In this article, I’ll show you how your business can create an eye-opening, beautiful infographic without touching a single cent in your bank. It’s easy as 1, 2, and 3 (and that’s the number of points in this article).”
The Three Ingredients for a Strong Social Media Strategy
“While most marketing managers simply publish the occasional post or answer customer queries at random, those who are savvier understand the importance of having a long-haul engagement plan.”
David Hanson: We are close to building the first sentient robot
“It’s one thing to have our smartphones tell us where the nearest bakery is, but it’s a whole new ballgame to be approached by a robot that looks and talks exactly like us.”
To Be More Productive, Work Less
“Are we, chronic procrastinators (my hand is raised), doomed to suffer a lifetime of unproductivity? As I’ve found out through lots of distracted reading and experimentation, there’s hope yet.”
4 Ways to Improve Your Visual Content For Social Media Right Away
“Most companies won’t have the resources (or the stomach) to go all-in like Red Bull did, but thankfully, there are low-hanging fruit that can be easily picked by any marketer – even those on a thread-thin budget.”
Parking Duck helps you deal with the nightmare of finding a parking spot in Bangkok
“Here’s how it works: homeowners and anyone with available spaces can put them up for rent, and those who are in need of a parking lot can search for them via an interactive map, and seal the deal with payment made directly on the website.”
Unconventional Ways to Get Your Creative Juices Flowing
“Unfortunately, this means that our brains aren’t so good at being creative. As it turns out, creativity is all about making new connections — a skill which brooding creative types seem to have in common.”
The Big List of 51 Hacks to Boost Your Creativity
“Most of us conclude that we are simply not gifted with the ability to create. Science, however, points to the opposite. Over recent years, numerous research findings have found quite definitely that creativity can indeed be learned and nurtured.”
How to Create Infographics That Drive Traffic
“To create infographics that stand out from the pack and drive serious traffic today, you have to make it something special. If you follow the rest of this post closely, you might have a fighting chance yet.”
12 startups in 12 months: here’s how this digital nomad is f**king doing it
“To Pieter Levels, it was a dream come true to be able to put both his work and love for travel together.”
Pakistan’s start-up ecosystem has much to offer but perceived violence holds it back
“Pakistan continues to make the headlines of international news for all the wrong reasons, and a purportedly dangerous political and economic climate naturally puts investors off. A pity, given that the nation is ripe with opportunities, probably more so than any other country in Asia right now.”
How Wishing Your Customer’s Dog Happy Birthday Can Increase Email CTRs by 750%
“How can an email marketer go about earning that permission? The answer lies in the very definition of permission marketing, which is that the emails must be perceived as anticipated, personal, and relevant to the recipients.”
How to Earn a Spot in the Elusive Inbox
“How can you earn back your precious spot in their elusive inboxes? Let’s examine the reasons why your readers would unsubscribe in the first place, and how you can remedy that.”